Monday, July 23, 2007

Eve of the Going Away Party


I'm sitting at home on a Saturday night packing up some boxes, packing up a backpack, researching insurances, and train networks on Java.

Ten years ago after my Sophomore year at Virginia Tech my Dad invited me and my sister to Bali. He lives in Germany so we don't see each other all that much. We celebrated his 50th and her 18th Birthday. Fast-Forward to 2007 and Pop's is at it again, inviting me, my sister Johanna, and her boyfriend Nick to Bali to celebrate the 60th and the 28th. They're gonna be there for a month.

My friend Brad lives in Perth, Australia and I've been meaning to go visit him for several years now. Indonesia isn't that far from Australia. I figured I'd go see Brad as well. Ok, so turn that month away into... hmmm.. 1.5 months.

I want to see Eastern Australia as well... hmmm... 2 months.. New Zealand... 3 months... hell, while I'm at it... Southeast Asia... 5 months... what next? I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be very entertaining and eventful.

Right now I've got a flight to Sydney that leaves on July 24 and returns Feb 27. I have little faith in the Feb 27 date. Very little. I didn't plan this all out as well as I might have. Whatever. Dates get moved. I also have a Round trip flight to Bali that leaves 4 hours after I get to Sydney and returns on the 23 of August.

Loose plans are to get to Jakarta at some point. Bali's a fine island but I head the hiking in Central Java is very nice and I'd be very unsatisfied having seen only Bali again.

(Aside: As I typed 'Bali' in the sentence above the word Bali was uttered by the woman singing The Magnetic Fields' "Zebra" from 69 Love Songs, disc 3, 1 min 27 sec from the start. i'm right in sync. back to the program)

So I'm still in San Francisco for a few more days. Work has been quit. The apartment is being moved out of. I'm spending time with friends... so much that I'm now having to catch up with to-do's on saturday night. It's good. I want to feel prepared. The last day here will be stressful anyway. Even if it's just spent lazying around Dolores Park.

Tomorrow's a party. Hopefully people show up. I think it'll be fun.

---
for those of you looking at the timestamp on this, i originally posted in on vox.com, but brad alerted me to the lack of anonymous commenting on that site so i moved it over to blogger.com

No comments: