Friday, August 03, 2007

Johanna and Nick arrived (and I'm behind blogging)


It's really hard to deal with these intermittent bits of internet access here and there. The little town of Lipah has dialup internet and it's super slow and this blog site won't even load. I walked up the coast a bit to a dive shop that has internet and it finally loaded. yay.

After last posting I got a good night's sleep and when I stumbled out of my room in the morning, Nick and Johanna's friend Ali called out to me. We sat around and talked for an hour or two before getting some food. I eventually headed out to explore the neighborhood and get to know the beack a bit.

Like most beach places the stores all sell the same things. Flip Flops. Local Art. Stuff like that. No store differentiates from the other. On the beach you're hounded by guys selling sunglasses even though you're already wearing two pair. The other hot times is watches. Poor guys. I must be extra tempting 'cause I don't wear a watch anymore and don't really intend to do so again.

I eventually settled into a cute little food shack on the beach and drank a beer or two while reading my book. In the afternoon Ali and I headed to the Airport to pick up Johanna and Nick. The airport was maybe 20 minutes away from Raja Gardens where we were staying. A 50 or 60,000 Rupiah ride. $USD6 or so. Jojo and Nick were pretty pooped. We had some Indonesian food for dinner and called it a night.

On the 28th, the day after JoJo and Nick arrived we all went for a walk down the beach to hit up the Cecilia Spa that Ali had gone to at some point in the past. We all got various sorts of wakes and full body massages for under $10. Super nice. Mad relaxing. We had some lunch at this place called Zanzibar. There's a ton of places along the beach that serve western food. It can be hard to get away from. We gave in to it while we were there. Plus, Ali could use it after having been in Indonesia for a long time. It was fun watching the little surfer boys hit on the little touristing girls.

Johanna and I soon headed over to Dhyana Pura where our dad was supposed to get in at around 6pm. We waited for about an hour before checking at the reception and finding that they weren't booked to get there until the 29th. Oops. Instead of hanging with Pops we went and had some more Indonesia food. I forgot what they called the style of restaurant but it was kind of like Dim Sum. They brought out a bunch of plates of the food on the table and we put items that we wanted onto our plates and ate them. Food was cooked in the morning and kept in the window all day. We were just asking to get sick but we made it through just fine.

That night we rented a movie... Ratatouil or whatever it's called and passed out dreaming of rats that could cook.

Ok, gotta leave this internet place... I was buying airline tickets, checking back balances and all that stuff and didn't actually have so much time to write. Yay, only 6 days behind on the blog deal.

1 comment:

[TMO] said...

As a timely blogger myself, I am dismayed at your intermittent postings! BTW, my knees, while still tofu, are feeling much better :-) Check your email!